Blocked drains affect all households at one time or another, causing minor annoyance such as water draining slowly from the shower or kitchen sink, through to major dramas with sewer or water pipes backing up and requiring emergency attention.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE BLOCKED DRAINS
If the blocked drain is in the kitchen, bathroom or laundry, try one of these tips before you call a plumber:
- Pour boiling water into the clogged drain.
- Mix 1 cup of vinegar with ½ cup of bicarb soda to create a chemical reaction and leave in drain overnight.
- Tip some bleach into the drain pipe.
- Check the u-bend of the sink to see if the blockage is there. Put a bucket under the sink, unscrew the connections and remove blockage.
- Use a plunger to remove build-ups.
- Purchase a commercial chemical cleaning product from the supermarket or hardware store (such as Drano or Drain Clean).
These tips are useful for removing or dissolving build-ups of grease, hair, lint, or food particles but may not be effective on solid blockages. If this is the case, it’s time to call a plumber with expertise in cleaning and repairing blocked drains, like the team at Nuflow Brisbane South.
Major obstructions to drains tend to involve:
- Invasive tree roots or a build-up of dirt, plant or leaf matter.
- Deteriorating and cracking pipes.
- Incorrect installation of water pipes.
- Foreign objects in sewer drains.
- Vehicles driving over underground water pipes.
- Failed pipe lining.
Our plumbing specialists have a range of solutions to diagnose and repair blocked drains, including the use of a drain snake or ‘eel’ to remove blockages near a drain opening; or a CCTV drain inspection camera to locate the blockage, followed by high-pressure water jets to remove it.
In worst case scenarios, however, pipe or drain repair may involve cutting a trench in the concrete slab, digging up the foundations of the house or burrowing in the garden to access and repair water or sewer pipes. Obviously, these will result in significant disruption, cost and mess.
A BETTER ALTERNATIVE
Thankfully, there is a better alternative! At Nuflow Brisbane South we specialise in repairing broken or damaged pipes using our patented Nuflow “no dig” technology. This means no disruption to your home or garden as no digging or cutting is required; a faster repair; and much more cost effective. We can even reline older pipes to create a watertight structural repair. Call us today on 3277 8401!